Friday, March 30, 2012

Well-behaved Audience Overcomes "Technological Glitch"!

We had our first "Technical Breakdown"! At first, the two young lads from Cardel couldn't figure out what was wrong. At 7.05pm I poked my head in, the guys were shaking their heads vigorously. I had a sudden flash, "My God I 'll have to ask them to go home without seeing the film!' But I still did not have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach! Failure is not an option. Quarter-of-a-million $ system and a single wire was damaged which failed to connect the computer to the sound system. Boys found small desktop speakers and we were off. The speakers fell off the dais a few times. But there was no complaints from the audience. 

I am so proud of my volunteers and equally proud of our audience. Nine years ago, when I was a volunteer at CIFF, we would be at the exit doors, garbage bags in hand and people would drop their empties in as there is no time between shows to get cleaners in. They don't do that any more and pop-corn containers have grown to bath tub size & drinks are bucketful. No one can possibly finish them! So they sprinkle it all over. A couple of years back, at our photo-club I saw photos of Russian tube stations. They were magnificent, palatial and immaculate! Not a graphity any where nor any litter. That reflects the character of people. I feel, North American people have been brain-washed by movie-mannerism. You get bad news,  you go throw everything in sight! I get bad news,  I get that sinking feeling and go numb. Throwing things is not even in my subconscious. It is for that reason that I am proud of Hidden Gems audience. When we didn't start on time and there were not enough chairs for them to sit they persevered. When the speakers fell down and the film went silent, they still waited patiently. Later, I had emails: "Niru, don't worry. Even NASA has technical breakdowns!" Now, that is a zen attitude.

Via Darjeeling was a new genre for Hidden Gems. Mystery may be a stretch for art-house festival. But despite poor sound quality, it accomplished what we set out to do-to generate discussions. I know of three groups that went out for dinner afterwards and carried on discussing what happened to the husband. I had a few calls suggesting alternatives that director didn't explore. If you like us exploring new genres let us know.

Cardel does not allow food except through their very expensive caterers. We were the first ones they allowed to bring our own food. We are very thankful to Cardel for that. I was extremely pleased to sign off the post-inspection sheet that everything was ship-shape. Thanks to all present for treating the venue like your own home and my volunteers for tidying up without a word from me. I don't know how we would have entertained them without food! To thank you all we promise you a different taste from India, next time. Mark your Calendars down for Saturday, May 5th for another National award winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment